Creole Fried Rice
By Chef Lola Event & Catering
Rice has been a staple part of almost every meal for most Caribbean, African and Asian families since the beginning of civilization; and we have proudly shared our many recipes for this hearty grain with the rest of the world. So here is one more delicious rice dish you can cook up to get away from our traditional rice and beans.
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 cups of chicken broth
1lb. skinned and boned chicken thighs
1 1/2tsp. Creole seasoning, divided
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 lb. andouille or smoked sausage sliced
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 green onion, chopped
1/2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup frozen okra sliced and thawed
3 plum tomatoes chopped
2 scallions sliced (green onions) green part only
5 EASY STEPS
1. Cooked rice according to package directions substituting water for chicken broth let cool about 30 minutes.
2. Cut chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces and season with 1 tsp. creole seasoning.
3. Cook chicken in hot oil in large skillet to sear and give it color for about three minutes, add sausage and cook three minutes or until lightly browned. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook for five minutes or until tender. Stir in okra and add remaining role seasoning.
4. Increase heat to high; add rice and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
5. Stir in tomatoes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately. Bon Appetit.